Bourbon Bison Burger
If you love nothing more than a perfectly cooked burger off the grill, but could do without the extra calories and fat, look no further than bison. Bison isn't just leaner than conventional beef, it's also usually grass-fed, so it's lower in calories and saturated fat and higher in heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. However, it still has a rich flavor that gives a taste similar to beef, making ground bison a good alternative to hamburger.
This recipe for Bourbon Bison Burgers combines two great BBQ traditions: big flavor and bourbon. To amplify those flavors, we also used Jack Daniels Wood Pellets. Although this recipe was done on the Pellet-Q450, it can be easily adapted to any type of grill.
Wood Pellet Flavor -Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Mesquite, Oak, Pecan
Load the Pellet-Q450 with Jack Daniels pellets.
- Set up the Q450 Sear Station on the left side of the grill then set the temperature to 400°F.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the right side of the grill (non-Sear Station side) and heat up the olive oil. Then add the sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Close the lid.
- While the onions caramelize, add the ground bison, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 ounce of Bourbon to a bowl and mix.
- Shape the meat into 4 equal sized patties then season each with salt and pepper on both sides .
- When the onions are soft and slightly golden, add 2 ounces of Bourbon, stir, and let cook until the Bourbon has been absorbed, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- Set the Q450 to Open Flame 1 (FL1).
- Place the burgers on the Sear Station and grill for about 3 minutes then flip. Add cheese and cook another 3 minutes (bison is cooked medium to medium-rare).
- Lay each patty on a bun with onion, lettuce, and tomato.
- Serve and enjoy!